Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One year ago today...

Spencer was asleep. Upon impact he woke up screaming. I was able to limp around the car to get him out. As soon as I opened the door he calmed down. He sat in my lap, in the middle of road, exclaiming about all the cars going by. Then the fire truck and ambulance came. Whoa, was that awesome! Everything was terribly exciting for him.

In the ambulance, my realtor called. Um, sorry. Going to have to postpone this for a while. Poor guy. Who knew it would be almost a year before we picked up that house search again. I feel like the last year was almost not even there. I just existed. And poorly at that.

At the time we still had Alaska car insurance, which has different coverage than Florida. Florida has instituted requirements so that nothing is out of pocket until you hit a maximum amount. I could not get people to remember I didn't have that special insurance and that I was paying for this! Eventually we had to get a lawyer, because the other guy was uninsured (the accident was his fault) and we were footing the bill. Oh, and you can't get your insurance to pay for things unless you get that lawyer. Great system huh? I wonder who designed it? Lawyers perhaps?

FYI, I highly recommend you have uninsured motorist protection for more than $100,000. My foot alone was worth the $100,000, can you imagine hurting more than a foot? I am sure there are many of you wondering how a foot can be worth anything, let alone the above. But, first the lawyer gets his share, there are bills to be paid and I can no longer do certain jobs because my foot will always have some problems. Oh yes, I will also have to have more surgery on my foot as I age. Isn't that fun?

The other thing I learned from this experience, get COBRA. In our situation, we did not think we would need COBRA because it was all auto related, but health insurance would have at least helped us ride this out. And now my foot has a pre-existing injury because I did not have health coverage at the time.

I am still not completely over the emotional turmoil I went through last year. I think this summer will go a long way to help me "get over" it. We bought a house this winter and my dad is helping me build (which really means, he is building) a raised planter for vegetables. My mom and I transplanted tomatoes today and Molly helped me transplant geraniums (purple, of course). We are enclosing our yard later this week to help my peace of mind with the kids. I am looking forward to a summer filled with water, dirt, gardening, and toilet training. I am hoping it will be a good one.

No comments: