Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Learning about produce, starting with peaches

One of the reasons I agreed to move to Tallahassee was the close proximity to real peaches. There are those of you in the lower 48 that take your peaches for granted. Alaska has a hard time getting good peaches. While in Alaska, I have had a few decent peaches. A little sweet, sometimes some juice, but I knew there had to be more to it.

Last Saturday we went to a sidewalk market and I bought a bag of peaches. The peaches were hard, which gave me a bit of anxiety, harking back to my Alaska peach experience. But I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I decided to try one in the car; I was that worried about it being an Alaskan peach. Oh my, oh my, oh my! It was already better than every peach I had ever had in Alaska. It was juicy and slightly sweet and the texture! I was starting to understand why people liked this fruit. Even to my untrained palate it was obviously not completely ripe, but on its way.

So today I went through the rest of the bag and discovered the bruised peaches were the sweetest and those not bruised were just a little less sweet. Oh, man, I am in peach heaven. Imagine if I lived in a high peach producing area! I am thinking we might need to take a little road trip in a few weeks. I’ll see what peach stands need my help!

Does anyone know if you can have too many peaches? You know, like you can have too many pineapples?

No comments: